Build Your Own Business Website header image

Community Library Website Case Study – Part 51 Modify Taxonomy Names Directly in the Database

Difficulty Level -

Filed Under Topics - , , ,

Listed Under Lesson Subjects -

Applies to - ,

Whoops, you've found some premium content!

Watch the opening clip of this video to preview it,
the full video is available to paid members.

This is the 51st in a series of live lessons on using WordPress and Thesis as a Content Management System (CMS) for a Community Library Website. In this lesson we directly modify the data in our database using phpMyAdmin and MySQL statements.  We previously changed the name of a custom taxonomy, now we search for that taxonomy name and replace it with the new name.  We use the UPDATE and REPLACE statements.

Video Transcript

Rick: Yeah and unfortunately, now what has happened is I have in this process… I have… it looks like I killed all my catalog… oh no, I didn’t. There they all are. Okay, so edit and audience… you know, we killed all our authors though with this. I can see that now. I lost all the authors when I made that change with this thing being full.

Pam: Oh, they may not have come in because that was what was preventing authors from importing correctly.

Rick: Well, but this was my old system and I had authors earlier today. So I’ve killed the authors by making this change with all the authors in place, it looks like. Somehow when I did this edit, it demolished authors.

Pam: What the semi colon replacing… I’m wondering if that’s something that should be done in the test field as part of sanitizing the data before…

Rick: Well in fact, that’s what I did. That is the one I worked on. Nobody else knows about this and I’m going to find time to go through this process but one of the conclusions that I drew as Pam and I were working through this process of importing that data was that the data… rather than importing the data directly into our working website, what we ought to do is import the data into another website. Sanitize it in that other website and then use the WordPress export feature to export the data as a WordPress export file and then import it back into the working site. And you know, I don’t think that’s going to work… I didn’t really anticipate doing that here so I don’t believe I have all of my images correctly laid out in here. I’m going to do one quick thing though. I’m just going to look at this, see if I can repair that database. That was word 27 and if we go to terms… I have 204 terms in here.

And so I clearly have names in here. So I’m going to term taxonomy and look at… I’m going to look for all instances of author. So in the terms taxonomy table, let’s go ahead and select from term taxonomy where taxonomy…we’ll just say like and then single quote that author… percent sign single quote. Let’s just see if this produces… go. Okay, that produces 94 results and they are… you know, I think we can change this really. I think what we can do here… we’re just going to try that. Since I screwed up the database anyway, we’re just going to go back to MySQL and we’re going to say update wp term taxonomy and we’re going to set taxonomy equals replace and then that’s going to be taxonomy… comma and then it’s author comma and then we’re going to say item-author. You know, I bet this is going to fix that problem. Let’s give ourselves a space there so… the wp term taxonomy table, set taxonomy equals replace taxonomy… looking for this string of author. We’re going to replace its string with item-author. Let’s go ahead and go. Okay, 92 rows were affected. Let’s go back to our catalog items and then let’s look at our authors list. There we go, it worked. Okay, hot dog. So I got my authors back so not only did we learn something…

0 Comments… add one

Save $200 on Membership Now!

Start learning today for as little as
$0.82 PER DAY!
THIS IS A LIMITED TIME OFFER!
Subscription Options
0 comments… add one

Leave a Comment