10 Strategies Every DIY Website Builder Should Know
In this free seminar we present our 10 strategies for keeping on track and getting your site completed. These strategies come from lessons we’ve learned over the last few years helping clients get their sites finished. We discuss the difficulties for the DIY site builder and how to overcome them. So, if you’re just beginning to develop your site or you’re stuck in the process watch this seminar!
Do you fully understand how to organize your Pages and Posts? Do you know what it means when we say that WordPress is a Content Management System (CMS)? If you are looking for a basic but thorough introduction to how to organize your content then these video tutorials will give you the information you need. They were recently created (February of 2013) as part of our Build a Professional Website Using WordPress and Thesis 2 but the information is independent of the course.
We created a cheat sheet for our introductory seminar that shows the relationship between primary font size and padding in the Thesis Classic Responsive skin. If you want your columns to be a specific width you can use this cheat sheet to calculate the column width including padding. Essentially to calculate the width, find the padding width for your font and muliply that by two (for left and right padding). For example if you want a 500 pixel wide column and are using the Georgia font at 16px your column would be 500 + 27 + 27 = 554 pixels.
- Download the Thesis Classic Responsive – Padding Cheat Sheet
- Download the CSS version of the BYOBWebsite Code Snippets for the Thesis Classic Responsive Skin (.css file)
- Download the plain text version of the BYOBWebsite Code Snippets for the Thesis Classic Responsive Skin (.txt file)
- Download the Thesis 2.1 Code Editor Keyboard Shortcuts Cheat Sheet for the PC
- Download the Thesis 2.1 Code Editor Keyboard Shortcuts Cheat Sheet for the Mac
- View the WordPress/Thesis 2 File Structure Diagram
- View the Thesis 2 Custom Skin File Structure Diagram
From our Beginner’s Guide to the Thesis 2.0 Skin Editor seminar, we have a cheat sheet with rules for creating Class and ID names along with a list of WordPress generated class names that you shouldn’t use.
We have two resources from our How to upgrade from Thesis 1.x to Thesis 2 Using the Thesis Classic Skin seminar. There is a checklist you can use to document the settings you have in Design Options in your Thesis 1.x site which is available both in Excel and PDF formats. The other is a cheat sheet that shows where the settings in Thesis Design Options from 1.x are set in the Thesis 2 Classic skin.
- Download Design Options Checklist in Excel format
- Download Design Options Checklist in PDF format
- Download Thesis 1 to Thesis 2 Classic Cheat Sheet
How To Customize Thesis Like a Pro
- Thesis Theme CSS Anatomy – a website that we created that is an unofficial guide to CSS of the Thesis theme
How To Create a Membership Site – Thesis, WP eStore, WP eMember and Simple:Press forum
- WP eStore Shortcodes Cheat Sheet
- WP eMember Shortcodes Cheat Sheet
- Registration Configuration Checklist – AWeber
- User Configuration Checklist – WordPress, WP eMember, Simple Press: Forum
- Google Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide
- Google Web Fonts
- Favicon Creator
- FileZilla for FTP
- Camtasia Studio – screen recording and video editing software
- Paint.net – free image and photo editing software (we use Photoshop but pain.net is both free and easier to use for beginners)
- Color Scheme Designer – a free designer tool for creating color combinations
- w3schools – free tutorials for beginners to experts, learn HTML, CSS and much more
- NetBeans – free, open source code editor
- Firefox Addons we recommend: MeasureIt, ColorZilla, Firebug and Web Developer
- The Genesis Framework
- Shopp – an e-commerce plugin that is excellent for situations where you require real time shipping calculations or have complex tax calculation requirements (NOTE: Shopp currently does not work with Thesis 2)
BackupBuddy – we haven’t found a better or more reliable plugin for backing up and migrating sites since we began using it ourselves
The Thesis Theme
AWeber – email marketing program
Scribe – content marketing software (get help for your SEO)
WordPress eMember – get content protection and more for membership websites
WP eStore – shopping cart plugin that allows you to sell any type of digital products and services